Norwood is a village located in St. Lawrence County, New York. As of the 2010 census, the village had a total population of 1,657.
Norwood is located at 44°44’54” North, 74°59’50” West (44.748416, -74.997269).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km), of which, 2.1 square miles (5.4 km) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km) of it is water. The total area is 8.41% water.
The village straddles the Raquette River.
North-south highway, New York State Route 56 (North/South Main Street) passes through the center of the village. County Road 35 enters the village from the west, and County Road 48 joins NY-56 just south of the village.
As of the census of 2000, there are 1,685 people, 685 households, and 446 families residing in the village. The population density is 814.1 inhabitants per square mile (314.3/km²). There are 750 housing units at an average density of 362.4 per square mile (139.9/km²), of which 685 are occupied. The racial makeup of the village is 98.46% White, 0.36% African American, 0.42% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.12% from two or more races. 0.65% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 685 households out of which 30.4% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.6% are married couples living together, 11.2% have a female householder with no husband present, and 34.9% are non-families. 28.3% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.1% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.39 and the average family size is 2.93.
In the village, the population is spread out with 23.4% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. Males make up 49.4% of the population while females make up the other 50.6%.
The median income for a household in the village is $37,150, and the median income for a family is $43,068. Male full-time, year-round workers have a median income of $36,187 versus $24,167 for females. The per capita income for the village is $18,063. 11.6% of the population and 62.1% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 9.8% of those under the age of 18 and 8.8% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.